Nova 2 is an updated version of Zaxcom's Nova complete sound solution. Nova 2 is a mixer, a recorder, ZaxNet remote control and has two built-in wireless receiver slots, all in one compact and lightweight device. Fully loaded with 2 slot-in receivers Nova 2 can receive up to 8 transmitter signals, weighs less than 2 kg, and is the smallest, neatest, most complete portable sound package on the market.
The Nova 2 has 16 digital inputs that can be used either with or without the internal receivers. You can use either 16 x external AES digital inputs (8 pairs) or 8 x external AES digital inputs (4 pair) and the 8 x internal AES inputs via the built-in receiver slots. When you're using the internal receivers you can output them as AES direct outputs from the Nova 2. The external AES sample rate converting inputs can be used to connect 2 x AES42 microphones or to connect to any external wireless receivers. On the analog side, Nova 2 features 4 XLR mic/line NeverClip inputs with 48V phantom power and 2 x line level balanced inputs. Nova 2 has 8 output busses plus the headphone output.
Nova 2's graphical user interface is intuitive and simple. Each of the five faders has three functions and can be on any one of five banks, so really you have 75 functions accessible at the push of a button. The three functions are: fader levels, input trim, and Zaxnet gain. A patented ring of colored LED's around the outside of each fader shows you its 'position' and audio level, and the color shows you which bank it's on.
Nova 2 can record up to 16 channels of audio with 24-bit depth. Audio can be recorded individually or simultaneously on two Compact Flash Cards. The Nova 2 Automixer can mix up to 18 inputs for you automatically. Each NeverClip analog input has a dual A-D converter to increase the dynamic range recorded on Nova 2 to 140dB. With NeverClip there's no compressor, limiter or bad gain staging distortion. This is because the 24 bit ISO files are recorded with an extra 24 dB of headroom to accommodate the enhanced dynamic range.
There are two receiver slots for optional module receivers, MRX414, MRX214 or QRX212. When installed, all connections are made internally. Each MRX414 receiver module can receive audio from up to 4 separate transmitters. The MRX214 and QRX212 can receive audio from up to 2 separate transmitters in mono or stereo mode for up to 4 channels of wireless audio. Nova 2 has an automatic tracking front-end filter and RF distribution (a built-in MicPlexer) so you can receive on any frequency in any block from 20 through 26 (512-698MHz) with impressive range. The module receivers are fully integrated into the Nova 2. When a frequency is changed, both the receiver channel and the transmitters on the talent are changed at the same time.
When used with Zaxcom digital recording wireless transmitters, the wireless functions as a virtual multitrack recording system using our audition and re-record function. You can re-play, re-mix and re-record a take on Nova using audio played back from the digital recording wireless transmitters' internal memory cards. Transmitter memory cards never need to be removed in order to recover lost audio. ZaxNet remote control gives the ability to adjust transmitter settings remotely from the Nova, so you never need to disturb talent. Settings include frequency, preamp gain, output power, and transport controls (play, record and stop) on Zaxcom digital recording wireless transmitters. Timecode is wirelessly jammed to every transmitter via ZaxNet.
Nova 2 uses two power inputs for redundant operation. The Nova will run from 8V-18VDC and draws only 1.1 Amps with 8 channels of internal receiver.
- inputs: 4 mic/line-level with 48V phantom power and 2 line-level
- connector 4x XLR3F + 1x TA5M
- 4 balanced TA5 (6 bus): 0dBu, -10dBu and -35dBu
- headphone 6.35mm stereo bus
- AES / AES42 in: 4 pair (8 channels)
- AES out: 4 pair (8 busses)
- connector: DB-15 mini (DE-15)
RECEIVER AES I/O:
- additional inputs when not using slot-in receivers: 4 pair (8 channels)
- digital direct out from slot-in receivers: 4 pair (8 channels)
- connector: DB-15 mini (DE15)
ZAXNET RF INTERFACE:
- 2.4 GHz transmitter: 50mW output power
- frequency range: 2.403 to 2.475 GHz
- modulation type: spread spectrum
- bandwidth: 1 MHz
- connector: SMA female
- receiver module slots: 2
- RF connectors: 2x SMA
- RF impedance: 50 Ohm
- RF filter band pass: 35 MHz
- RF tuning range: 512-698 MHz (receiver model dependant)
- track count: 16
- bit-depth: 24 bits
- sample rates (kHz): 44.1, 47.952, 48, 48.048, 96, 192 (192 4-track maximum)
- head room: 20 to 44 dB
- format: MARF II, .BWF
- max pre-record duration: 10 seconds
- internal: dual compact flash
- mixer type: 32 bit floating point DSP
- A-D / D-A resolution: 24 bit
- delay: 0 to 60 mS in .1ms steps
- notch filter: 2 band, 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency range adjustable
- compressor type: soft knee with side chain
- high pass filter: 20 Hz to 230 Hz
TIMECODE READER / GENERATOR:
- timecode type: SMPTE
- connector: BNC
- clock accuracy: 1.54 PPM
- timecode frame-rates: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97NDF, 29.97DF, 30NDF, 30DF
- external power: 8 to 18 VDC (12V @ 1 Amp with 8 channels of receivers)
- power connecter: Hirose
- battery meter: yes, on LCD display
- size (H x W x D): 51 x 210 x 152 mm
- weight: 1.2 kg without modules / 1.6 kg loaded with 2x modules
- tone level selectable -12 to -20 dBFS
- display: full color sunlight readable LCD
- meters: output / input / card
- slate mic: internal / external